Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Braids!


We were in Puerto Penasco over Cinco de Mayo weekend for a triathlon that my brother-in-law, Karl, was racing. He did great and won first in his age group! Woohoo!!!

But before any of that, his wife and my friend, Tracy, was determined that WE would have braids.


*look at those hands fly!*


So, she asked a woman sitting out side of the Mexican restaurant that we ate at "downtown" if she braided and when she replied, "manana," Tracy wouldn't take no for an answer. She asked again and the woman ended up sending for her daughter to help, and soon we were sitting in a chair on the cobbled street with a tray of colorful beads in our laps handing the beads and bands to the two women behind us who braid at lightning speed!

I felt a bit Jamaican by the end of the hair-do, but it was the perfect uncharacteristic thing to do and it kept all those wispy henries out of the way during our weekend stay in Mexico! Don't worry - we didn't get burnt scalps either because Tracy and I finger-painted each other's little braid pathways with dabs of sunscreen. I am glad Tracy talked me in to it; I am.


I actually wore it one day to work (gasp, I know!), despite extreme embarrassment, but the shocked reactions were worth it! Plus, they make the coolest clinking noise when you twist your head back and forth. I definitely recommend it.

My mother-in-law, June, helped me to take all of the little bands out that Monday night and my hair was huge and crimped. Hello, 1989! I don't think I'll share that photo here, but would I do it again? Yeah, mon.

Diggin' it,
Dawn

No comments: