Monday, March 10, 2008

Nathan Michael Martin Warren






He came into the world very pink with a deep cry and a pointy head (see in photo above). But can you blame him? Big heads run in the family! My sister, Gayle, gave birth to a 9lb. 6oz., 21 and 3/4 inch long baby boy on Tuesday, March 4th, 2008 at 8:58pm. So, due to his size, a pointy head was inevitable! He's rounded out since the day of his birth though.

I was very honored and fortunate to get to be in the delivery room, and I was armed complete with camcorder and camera, and sadly, a mask since I had a sniffling cold.

It's a strange sensation for there to suddenly be one more person in the room without anyone coming through the door, even though I knew that was the purpose of being in the room in the first place.

Mama was also in the room, near Gayle's head, helping to support her back every time Gayle tucked her chin down and did a giant crunchie to push. Gayle's husband, Mike, was there by her side giving her updates on how much of Nathan was showing. "I can see his eyebrows!" There were 5 nurses I think, one designated as the "baby catcher," and a doctor. Daddy was behind the curtain like the great and powerful Wizard of Oz, but he kept fairly quiet except for the occasional proud, soft, deep chuckle as he anticipated the arrival of his grandson. Kurtis and Beth were in the hallway trying to witness as much as possible from behind a door.

Gayle's contractions lasted over 24 hours, but she pushed on March 4th for less than an hour. I'm very proud of her... we all are. She and Mike are very proud parents. Proudness is all around.

Finally I get to see that Nathan has the nose of his mama and the lips and chin of his daddy. A more beautiful meld of two people I cannot imagine. What a blessing he is.

A happily doting aunt,
Dawn

No comments: