Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sentimental Nut


Ahh, school supplies... they're everywhere you go right now since August is right around the corner. Kids and parents are searching for those perfect backpacks and the accessories to fill those backpacks. Remember the days when you would go searching for a cheap paper box that expressed "you" to proudly sit on your desk to hold your crayons, glue, pencils, and scissors? I think they're plastic now. Well, in 1989, my 5th grade year, this was my box.



I've kept it for 19 years to house markers and such over the years, but the lid doesn't open easily anymore, and it is no longer a necessary tool for me in my adulthood, but I'm a sentimental nut that can't get rid of it! Here's why:



Can you read the message? My sister must have dug up the crayons and art supplies that filled this box to write this secret note at the bottom beneath the waxy crayon residue and torn crayon wrappers. I found the note years ago, but it always makes me smile so I couldn't get rid of it. I love the fact that Gayle created a secret for me to discover. Imagine the giddiness she might have had just waiting for me to ffind what she did!

We used to do stuff like that all the time. Once we created a code of symbols to correlate to the alphabet and then we'd write incripted notes for each other to decipher. We'd also have secret knocks between our bedroom walls to let each other know that a message was waiting. And somewhere in Gayle's house, there's a letter in an envelope that we wrote about 20 years ago in which we instructed ourselves not to open until sometime in the next decade! I'm anxious to see what wackiness we sealed away. I love having a sister to be imaginative with!

Tonight I went through random stuff in our office, and when I came across this box, I've decided that it's time to let it go, but I had to at least take pictures of it! I'm a little sad just thinking of sitting in the trash can because it's such a symbol of my school days, and reminiscent of laying on my tummy on scratchy carpet along side my sister as we color, the box between us. The Velveteen Rabbit come to mind. The box doesn't have feelings, the box doesn't have feelings.

I'm learning to purge. Bear with me. Is there school for that?

happy learning,
Dawn

P.S. Never mind, I think I can find a new purpose for it. It's not in the garbage anymore. You sentimental nut.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got your box out of the trash bin! I was hoping, hoping, hoping that the last lines would state that you'd decided not to get rid of it! What a relic to show your own children-neices-nephews one day... I still have my old pencil box, too. It is blue with a variety of different birds on it. I wrote my name in it several times over the years, as well as dating it each time I signed it. Being a sentimental nut isn't all bad, in my opinion! :)

Anonymous said...

PS- You could store stationary, a group of photos, or a postcard collection inside of your box!

Dawn said...

Lindsey! Thank you for your sweet comment! Your words made me laugh out-loud! What an ordeal - to keep it or not! Well, I'm glad I'm not the only nutty pencil box lover! Ha ha! And I'm happy you still have your blue bird box! What do you store in yours? Thanks for the ideas! Maybe I could put a bunch of D.C. pics that I took last year when we visited there! Hmmmm...

:c)
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I have a Blog now! We'll see how this goes... http://touchthesky82.blogspot.com/

And you're welcome for the words, earlier. I'm just so glad to have a way to keep in touch with you again! I believe that my old pencil box is at my mom's work desk, storing her aspirin and band-aids, and various things you need on occasion. I'm glad it's being used, and it makes her happy. Now, though, I'm thinking of maybe stealing it back! :)

I hope you'll share some of your DC stories and images. I loved the brief visit there I took quite a few years ago!