Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Baby Shower for Liam


Last weekend was Jen's Tucson baby shower where we had so much fun showering her with baby-cute and baby-practical gifts!

It was awesome that Jen's mom, Pam, and Jen's Aunt Kathy traveled all the way from Santa Clara, CA to join the festivities. In-town guests included our mother-in-law, June, our sisters-in-law, Kathy, Kimmie, Keri with Ender, my mom and sister with Nathan, my two cousins, Julena and Jillian, our book club pal, Alison, and Jen's friend, Amie with her little girl. It was the perfect amount of people for my teeny house!


The theme was children's literature, so everyone brought a children's book to add to "Liam’s Library!" Then I challenged the group by having them name the title of nursery rhymes after only hearing a line or two! I completely lowered their self-esteem with that one!

Then I made them get sentimental and creative by writing an age appropriate letter to Liam after drawing a number out of a bowl ranging from ages 1 to 18! I got age 6 and that was a fun letter to write. He may be able to read it himself by then!

June made her famous ice cream dessert cake, which is hard to decorate, so we decided to make a diaper cake to match the theme of Liam's bedroom - "Where the Wild Things Are," to complement the yummy dessert.

I also invited a surprise guest to the shower- one of Kurtis’ clients, Libby, who is a baby sign language teacher for Sign With Baby Tucson. She and her 4-year-old daughter were awesome teachers and they inspired the group to learn to communicate with babies before they’re ready to speak with their voices. Libby had us make finger-print-people for each member of our family and then we learned the signs for family members. Here are Kimmie and Keri inking Ender's little fingers!

I know that Jen already intends to do this with Liam, and my sister and I, and all the grandmother’s (my mom, Pam, and June) are very excited too! I have some practicing to do in order to keep up with these babies! Gayle's already started with 5 month old Nathan. It's exciting to wait for him to sign back!

Here's Libby showing the signs for Gayle's (HUGE) family!

June made Liam an adorable home made sock monkey out of 25 year old socks! This is just too special, and I’m glad I knew that it was homemade because I don’t think she would have told anybody! She would have let us all believe that this keepsake was purchased at a store instead of toiled over with love and care and the special stitches only a grandmother can give.


Then, Pam gave Jen and Kelly a Beatles baby tee and a Pink Floyd baby tee representing two of their favorite bands. And it just so happen that Kelly was wearing the exact same adult-sized tee! How perfect!

It was a pretty wonderful day. Plus, I got my house clean because of it!

Sparkle and Shine,
Dawn

No comments: