Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Great-Grandpa for the First Time

Here he is - Roy Clarence Widero, my dad's dad, my grandpa, or "Mr. Widero," as my late Grandma Bernie often called her ornery husband.


We all drove up to Tehachapi, California the weekend of July 20th to reunite with my Grandpa at his house atop one of the grassy, foggy hills of this windy region of California. My dad's three sisters and their families met us there, too, which was so fun! It has been about a decade since I saw my cousins Danny and Kristin, so it was about time! We all had a great time catching up, playing pool, eating food, introducing Nathan, and remembering old stories.

I love how Grandpa "dressed up" in his vintage 70s shirt!

Grandpa read two of his clever, original poems to us - the ones he was able to find amongst other random papers in his unorganized desk drawer, so creased and aged that rips and tears are exhaustively fighting the urge. I just adore his poetic wit about the irritating wait in a super market line and about the embarrassment and awkwardness that is a bedpan. I'm planning to collect as many poems and drawings penned by my talented Grandpa that I can get my hands on for a family heirloom. It's a project in the works that I'm very excited about.


Here's my Grandpa with his four kids. From left to right: Aunt Lisa, Papa (Martin), Grandpa, Aunt Cheryl, and Aunt Jody.

Are you wondering what's making them laugh so hard? It certainly isn't me!


Nathan giggles when his daddy makes him run mid-air with a wiggle of the tush, causing all who see this silly sight to laugh heartily out loud!

Four proud generations.

But the biggest highlight of the trip for me was definitely the connection that a few of us were privileged to witness between Nathan and his Great-Grandpa Widero upon their first meeting and how much genuine interest they had in one another. Turn up the volume and watch below. But don't listen too closely or you might hear my stifled, awe-inspired tears behind the camera.



And a great grandpa he is, too.

Glad I Was There,
Dawn

No comments: